A peanut-y oatmeal cookie dough studded with M&M’s, chocolate chips and walnuts. These freeze beautifully, thaw at room temperature in minutes, and have a distinctly hardy feel to them. You’ll want to bake a batch for your summer camping trip. And maybe some extras for your freezer. 😉
After a friend brought a couple of these gi-normous cookies to our small group, I knew I had to try making some myself.
These cookies are firm and chewy, and chock-full of delicious chunks and textures. Though they can’t possibly be considered healthy, I do think with the oats and peanut butter, the cookies at least offer some good nutrition along with the sugar and fat. 😉
They are freezer-friendly, which was absolutely perfect for our camping trip. I made and froze them several days ahead, then they thawed to perfection in the camping cooler. At home, I warmed the leftovers from the freezer in the microwave for about 15 seconds to thaw them slightly.
They also thaw in a few minutes at room temperature… I just wasn’t that patient.
I suspect this is how Cookie Monster got his start. “COOKIES! Cookies, cookies, cookies!!! Umm nom nom nom nom!” Crumbs abound.
makes about 2 dozen jumbo-sized cookies
adapted from this recipe at Recipe Girl
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 c. quick cooking oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c. M&M’s *
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips*
- 1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts*
*You can use whatever 2 cups of add-ins you like. Chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, coconut… it’s all fair game. You can also chop the nuts to whatever size you like best–I’m a finely chopped girl myself, but do what makes you happy.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one or more cookie sheets with parchment paper (the best baking invention ever).
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla until fully combined.
- Dump in the oats, baking soda, M&M’s, chocolate chips, and walnuts (or whichever add-ins you prefer. Stir until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- To make jumbo cookies, scoop the dough out onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets using an ice cream scoop. Fit no more than 6 cookies (and maybe fewer) per sheet or they will spread into each other. Flatten the cookies slightly using a spatula so they will bake more evenly.
- Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes. Remove them when the edges are golden brown. They will set up slightly on the pan. Cool at least 3 minutes on the pan. Then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- If you wish to freeze the cookies, place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze. They will thaw at room temperature in minutes or in a few seconds in the microwave.
- Pack some for your next camping trip!
Visit again tomorrow to hear about our trip to the land of waves and mosquitos. And on Friday, I’ll share a recipe for the best granola bar I have ever eaten. You won’t want to miss it!
Have a great day!