A big thank you to Paintbox Mum for nominating me for the Liebster Award! I hope you’ll check out her blog, especially if you like to do crafts with little kiddos. She’s got interesting and innovative ideas, and I always enjoy reading her posts!
For those of you who may not know, the Liebster Award is essentially a chain letter blogging award given to newer bloggers by fellow bloggers to promote and welcome up-and-coming blogs. It’s a great way to find new blogs, and to get to know the bloggers. 🙂
There are slight variations on the rules from blogger to blogger, but here’s basically how it works. (Note that accepting the award is optional.) If you are nominated, you can accept by writing a post that includes the following:
• Link back to the person who nominated you
• Include the instructions in your post
• Answer the 11 questions given to you by the nominator
• Display the Liebster award logo in your post
• Nominate up to 11 other bloggers with fewer than 200 followers
• Create 11 questions for the nominees
• Notify all nominees via social media/blogs
Also included in Paintbox Mum’s post is the instruction to list 11 random facts about myself. So, here goes. 🙂
- I check my shower thoroughly for spiders before showering to prevent unwanted (and vulnerable) encounters.
- I hope to visit Western Europe in my lifetime.
- I married my high school sweetheart.
- I am slightly allergic to bananas and various melons.
- I am a messy perfectionist.
- I have no athletic talent, and very little athletic ability.
- I want to grow my own vegetables so I can make fresh homegrown salsa.
- I don’t like shrimp.
- I prefer food scents to floral scents. I’ll take a cinnamon roll candle every day over one scented with lavender or rose.
- I play the flute.
- I like to turn the music off while I read bedtime stories to my kids.
Questions from Paintbox Mum:
1 – Why did you start blogging?
I needed a creative outlet, and had thought about blogging for several years. I love to write and I love cooking/baking/creating in the kitchen. Blogging has been a great way for me to combine those interests, catalog some of my recipes, and be creative (with the added bonus that it requires no clean-up when the kids wake up from nap).
2 – Where is your favourite place to be?
I like different places at different times, but my favorite places are in my kitchen making something yummy OR out in God’s creation, preferably semi-secluded and with very few bugs.
3 – What is your favourite childhood memory?
This is impossible to narrow down, but I do have a rather wonderful memory of celebrating my 10th birthday. My mom took me to a mall (not the norm for us), where I got and wore a whole new outfit, complete with shoes and earrings. Then we went to the big city zoo and got to see more exotic animals than the smaller zoo we had been to before. All through my childhood, she took me places, just the two of us. And she would treat me to special food like an ice cream cone (or later, a white chocolate mocha), just because. I loved all the places (and food treats), of course, but these intentional bonding times formed a special relationship that has continued into adulthood. She has always been one of my best friends.
4 – What is your greatest achievement?
Thus far, probably the daily process of raising my children (3 born within about 3 years). For posts about that amazing adventure, browse my page: Wonderfully Quirky Thoughts. For some mama laughs (and maybe tears) see especially An Opportunity… and One Harried Night.
5 – What is your dream job?
I loved teaching music, and briefly I dreamed about becoming a baker or pastry chef, but I think I’m finally loving being a stay-at-home mom. Raising my kids is important work, and I’m learning to embrace and enjoy it in the good times and the annoying times. Plus, then my hobbies get to be hobbies rather than paychecks. 🙂
6 – Books or movies?
Books if I have energy and time alone. Movies if I’m tired, sick, or with company.
7 – Country or city?
City. (Preferably small and not far from the country.)
8 – If you could have one super power what would it be?
Instant transportation of self and others. Then we could see our family members across the country without traveling.
9 – What is your favourite food?
This is hard to narrow down, but probably bacon or sausage OR chocolate/coffee/caramel anything.
10 – How do you spend your free time?
Blogging, knitting and crocheting, painting, reading, dreaming up new recipes to try.
11 – Needle & thread or paint & glue?
Ummm… needles and yarn? (or yarn and hook?) Or perhaps just paint, no glue. 😉
Here are my nominees. I encourage you to check out each of their blogs!
Here are your questions should you choose to accept:
- Why did you start blogging?
- Fall leaves or spring flowers?
- What is your favorite flavor combination in a dessert?
- What is your favorite kitchen gadget?
- How do you find great blogs to read?
- What is your favorite thing to make/bake?
- What is your favorite smell?
- What is one of your favorite words?
- Hot chocolate or apple cider?
- You have a whole day to yourself (no spouse or kids or responsibilities)… how do you spend it?
- Someone you admire greatly is coming to stay with you tomorrow… what do you do to get ready for him/her?
* There are so many good blogs out there! I have attempted to nominate bloggers who have not been previously nominated for this award and who have not crossed the 200 followers mark, though these can both difficult to determine. 🙂
Question for any reader: How do you like to find new blogs to read?
Enjoy your day!